A Historical View of Tbilisi
As old as Tbilisi itself, the Narikala Fortress has been a symbol of Tbilisi’s defense and battles since its construction in the 4th century.
Also known as the Mother Fortress of Tbilisi, the fortress ruins offer one of the best views of Tbilisi and the Mtkvari (Kura) River. Its origins are debated. Some believe that its name originates from the Persian word for citadel, whilst others believe that it refers to a Mongol word meaning ‘little fortress’. During the 7th and 8th centuries, the fortress was expanded by the Arabs before being developed further by King David in the 11th century.
Narikala Fortress is easily visible due to its location on a steep hill between the botanical gardens and the sulphur baths in Tbilisi. Many visitors follow the Narikala Tourist route by foot which starts near the Mother of Georgia statue and continues 1500 meters around the fortress and into Old Town, finishing near the entrance to the botanical gardens.